Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Quick weekend projects

I was busy most of this past weekend turning around a quick dresser refinish for my first client (more on that in the next post), but I did manage to get a couple quick craft projects done, too.

One was correcting a not-so-great choice a made awhile back, when I had really been bitten by the no-sew pillow cover bug (originally covered in this post). I had been looking for some fabric that included the color teal for our guestroom with teal walls, and found the below fabric. It did not strike me as looking camoflauge-esque at the store, but once I got it home, I couldn't stop noticing it. When a good friend came to my house for the first time and asked if the pillows were in honor of my husband's love of hunting, I knew once and for all that they had to go.





Herein lies the benefit of these no-sew pillow covers: switching them out is as simple as unlatching the safety pin on the back side, and recovering with new fabric. Luckily, in the case of the camo-like fabric, I was also only out $3 because it had been on clearance.

Here is the new fabric I found to continue tying in the teal. It was from the clearance section so not too pricey, and I think it gets me alot closer to where I had wanted to be initially. Truth be told, these West Elm pillows are completely perfect for the room with their teal and yellow, but I can't imagine spending that much. This $6 per pillow solution is much more my speed!

















The other quick project I did this weekend was jazzing up a bulletin board to make it feel more appropriate to hang in our bedroom. My husband thinks bulletin boards are tacky (he wasn't swayed by this recovered version either, I won't lie) but I think they can serve their purpose. There are just some things I'd love to pin up and be able to look at rather than have shoved in a drawer somewhere.

I didn't take a before shot but it was a straightforward bulletin board, found for less than $2 at a thrift store where I typically buy furniture to refinish. After hot glueing some burlap-like fabric to the front and pinning the edges with decorative tacks (all materials from Jo-Ann Fabrics), it turned out like this:


And, despite my husband's disapproval, it is hanging on the wall in our room, with some photos, some Playbills, and my 10-mile race medal pinned up - all things I enjoy seeing every day that had been in my nightstand drawer for months, and in some cases, years.

No comments:

Post a Comment